Many of us would love to lose those few extra pounds. The problem is that restricting what we are eating sounds difficult, and we aren’t sure we’ll be able to stick with it or even want to stick with it.
These tips are sneaky because you don’t have to actually restrict anything! You just add foods or change the way you eat. Pick out one or two that work with your lifestyle and have fun!
1. Eat a Handful of Raw, Soaked Nuts and Seeds 20 Minutes Before Meals.
- Twenty minutes is the time it takes for your body to tell your brain that it has received nutrition.
- Your brain then decides you do not need to eat so much more.
- Nuts contain protein and good slimming fats.
2. Eat Half a Grapefruit Before Each Meal.
- Remember the trendy 80s diet involving gorging on grapefruit to lose tons of weight? It was highly restrictive.
- But, you can lose up to a pound a week by eating half a grapefruit before sensible meals!
- Or eat whatever you usually do and lose 3.6 pounds in 12 weeks. (Research at the Nutrition and Medical Research Centre at Scripps Clinic)
3. Smelling Food Can Trick Your Brain Into Thinking You’ve Eaten.
- A study found those who inhaled peppermint scent every 2 hours ate 2,700 calories LESS per week than normal.
- That’s a fat loss of more than half a pound a week!
Related Story: Study shows that smelling food makes you get fat
4. Brush Your Teeth.
- When you feel like you want to indulge in something not healthy, try brushing your teeth with mint-flavored toothpaste.
- You typically won’t feel like eating when there is a minty flavor in their mouth and toothpaste makes most foods taste bad.
5. Do Not Eat While Watching TV.
- It increases your calories by 40 percent more than usual.
6. Spice up Your Food.
- Adding hot spices to your meals can reduce hunger. (Study in the British Journal of Nutrition)
- Capsaicin (found in chilies) triggers your brain to release feel-good endorphins. (Scientists at the State University of New York at Buffalo)
7. Eat With Chopsticks.
For some of you, this will be a major way to lose weight because you will not be able to eat your food at all!
- When eating with chopsticks, more attention is required in picking up food from the plate. The bite size and portions are smaller.
- It takes more time helping you to slow down and enjoy.
- May help you realize you’re full sooner and then you’ll wind up eating less!
Related Story: When to Avoid Rice + 8 Alternatives to Try Instead
8. Take 10 Minutes to Eat a Treat.
- This habit could totally reduce your cravings!
- Take out one serving of your favorite treat.
- Allow a minute to smell it, look at it and think about it.
- Now take one small bite, chewing slowly, focus on the texture and taste, and then swallow.
- Before the next bite, ask yourself if you really want more.
- Repeat this sequence with your treat 20 times. This should take about 10 minutes.
- “Many of our participants …. didn’t enjoy the treat as much as they thought they would, or they were content after just a couple of bites and were better able to stop eating when they were satisfied.” – Lesley Lutes, PhD, at department of psychology at East Carolina University.
9. Get Enough Sleep and Rest.
- People gain weight when not getting enough sleep.
- Even just a few nights of sleep deprivation can lead to immediate weight gain. (Research University of Pennsylvania)
10. Focus on Nutrients, Not Calorie Counting
- Eat lots of whole foods and vegetables and make sure you have healthy meals and snacks with smart carbs, protein, and fat.
- Filling up with high-nutrient foods will help you feel satisfied and stay full longer.
Article originally published on www.care2.com